Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Sunday, November 14, 2010

VISTA, Ca, Man Who Claimed To Be 'Geezer Bandit' Speaks With 10News

OFF THE WIRE
Jailhouse Interview With Edward Power, 58
VISTA, Calif. -- Carlsbad Police said he claimed to be the Geezer Bandit during a bank robbery.
But during a jailhouse interview with 10News 58-year-old Edward Power wanted nothing to do with the geriatric serial bank robber.
Reporter Itica Milanes asked "Why did you commit those three robberies?" Power replied, "I didn't."
At first, denial.
Then Power blamed everything on an alcohol induced memory lapse.

Milanes: So now you're saying you don't remember if you robbed these places?
Power: No, what I'm saying is if I did, don't you think I'd know it?
Milanes: You say you were drunk and you don't remember anything.
Power: Well, that's true.
The Carlsbad man is in the Vista jail charged with eight felonies and held without bail.
Police said he tried and failed to rob a North County medical supply business and a bank. But the FBI said he did get some money at the Wells Fargo in Oceanside after claiming he was the Geezer Bandit. Something else he also denied.
Power: I don't remember anything, hardly. But I know I wouldn't tell somebody I'm the Geezer Bandit!
The FBI said the Geezer Bandit appears to be in his 60's or 70's but they are not ruling out the possibility it could also be elaborate make-up.
When showed a picture of the serial bank robber responsible for 11 heists around San Diego County since August 2009, Power bristled.
He said, "Ok, does that look anything like me?"
Milanes: I don't know. They say you were claiming to be this guy.
Shaking his head, Power said, "I wasn't."
Power is no stranger to trouble. He had no problem admitting being a member of the notoriously violent and ruthless motorcycle gang, the Mongols for two decades.
Yet allegations of robbery seemed to really ruffle his feathers.
Milanes: Are you a little envious of the attention that the Geezer Bandit has gotten?
Power: Why would I be? He's stupid! Anybody that robs anybody is stupid.
Even though he denied having financial problems, his mother confirmed to 10News he was.