Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mexico -South of the Border Colors: Mexican MC Patches

OFF THE WIRE
BY: Tim Kessel
Source: allaboutbikes.com
I recently spent the weekend south of the border in Mexico covering the 10th Annual Rocky Point Harley Rally for All About Bikes. It was an amazing event which you will read about in a future AAB feature article. However, there are some things that I want to share with our readers before the full report.
One of the things that intrigued me at the rally was the amazing number of Mexican motorcycle clubs that were represented. It is nothing new to see club colors at a Harley rally. However, in the states, it seems that we see only the same handful of high-profile clubs.
What struck me in Mexico was the amazing array of clubs and patches. So in true moto-journalist style, I went around and snapped as many photos of the variety as I could. Interestingly, as I was about to snap one of the patches, the biker turned around. Anticipating a language barrier and maybe some suspicion, I asked him if I could take “una foto”. He responded in quite fluent English that it was okay. Again, being a journalist, I took the opportunity to question him further. What I found out from the remarkably forthcoming Mexican biker was that there are dozens, maybe hundreds of motorcycle clubs in Mexico.
He went on to say that instead of many chapters of a big national of international club, Mexican bikers tend to have many independent clubs. Most Mexican motorcycle clubs are located in the border cities or in Mexico City