Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hells Angels are Keyword Kings

Lisa Petrocelli
Albany Biker Culture Examiner
Believe it or not, the words “Hells Angels” are two of the most Googled words on the Internet. You may wonder how I know this and whether this fact can be substantiated. Well, there are statistics that can be accessed which indicate from where the traffic to a writer’s articles originates. Everytime the keyword list attached to this column is consulted, Hells Angels is always at the top of that list. This is no big surprise to me but upon reflection on this little (or maybe well-known) fact, here’s my analysis of the reasons.
From my own perspective, the motive would be my inherent interest and fascination with motorcycle clubs (yes I admit it, so sue me). I’m sure we can all name a few friends who are obsessed with other people, places, and things such as celebrities, soap operas, musicians, the Mafia. It wouldn’t be unusual to find one searching for every shred of information possible on his/her topic of choice. Nevertheless, the Hells Angels are always the king of keywords.
First, and most importantly, I do not speak for the Hells Angels and am in no way a representative for them. As always, I merely speak from my own experience and will continue to do so, here, and in New York Rider Magazine.
There is no doubt this club among certain circles has a bad reputation, which may have been earned, whether fairly or unfairly. However, the Angels do struggle in their own way to diminish the effects of the deepest stains from their history. Having spent time around the HA’s and several other motorcycle clubs in the last 5 years or so, and after covering literally hundreds of biker events, my friends and I have never once witnessed anything that could be considered criminal or hazardous to our health. Some may argue that we will only ever see the “angel” face of these devils. To that my reply would be, “That does not change my experiences in any way, and I can only write about what my own eyes have seen.” The fact remains that the HA’s do a lot of good stuff that nobody talks or writes about. Despite all the “bad” stuff written or documented about the Hells Angels out here on the Internet and in scores of novels in the bookstores, there is just as much that is not written or documented that would paint quite a different picture for those voracious Googlers out there.
Particularly interesting would be the various personalities in this club. If I am granted an interview someday, I will prove this point to the best of my ability. Many would be surprised and maybe even shocked to learn who these men are and what they stand for. The loyalty you find within the Hells Angels is admired by many, even their staunchest enemies. No, they are not all “nice” guys, and neither are the cops, priests, doctors or any other club members or groups of this world full of “nice” guys. The Hells Angels stand out because of their reputation and of course because they are bikers and wear black leather. My conclusion is that a good amount of people are fascinated with the Hells Angels the same way they are when they pass an accident and just have to keep looking, or like that part in the scary movie when you know you should close your eyes but you can't help peeking so you don’t miss it; or just plain curiousity with their surrounding mystique.
This author certainly hopes that the Hells Angels remain at the top of the keyword list. Longevity goes a long way in this fragile world or ours. This club would not have survived and prospered for so many years if there weren’t enough members who really do want to preserve the future of this most captivating of clubs.