Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ask A Trooper: Knowing limitations and motorcycle helmets

OFF THE WIRE
Ask A Trooper: Knowing limitations and motorcycle helmets
 I don't even remotely claim to be a technology expert, but I can meander around a computer without doing too much damage. Most of my knowledge is learn-as-you-go or having a kind person give me step-by-step directions using a very big crayon.
On Thursday, I was having a particularly bad day with my computer, which I need to conduct the various tasks I am responsible for at the post. The computer was being quite obstinate and failing to cooperate.
I called Chuck, a gentleman in Lansing who usually fixes these issues by giving me directions. That wasn't working. The next thing I know, Chuck had remotely taken over my computer and things were happening of which I have no comprehension or control.
I called the right person for the job, my computer works and I am reminded of the saying, by that wise American philosopher Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Speaking of limitations:
Everyone knows the motorcycle helmet law was recently changed to where under certain circumstances riders on a motorcycle do not have to wear a helmet. I am not going to debate the issue of should a person wear or not wear a helmet. Having a choice is a wonderful thing; so is responsibility.
I would like to remind all drivers to "look twice and save a life." This saying works not only when looking for motorcycles but also for every day driving. Another motorcycle saying is, "Motorcycle operators should always drive defensively because in a crash, even if you are right, you lose." And with all vehicles, remember to keep the rubber-side down.
I want to bring up a recent Michigan Court of Appeals decision in the case of Michigan v. Rodney Lee Koon regarding the use of medical marijuana and driving a motor vehicle. The court of appeals ruled that the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA) does not allow a person to operate a motor vehicle with marijuana in their system
Michigan Compiled Law (MCL) 257.625(8) states, "A person, whether licensed or not, shall not operate a vehicle upon a highway or other place open to the general public or generally accessible to motor vehicles, including an area designated for the parking of vehicles, within this state if the person has in his or her body any amount of a controlled substance listed in Schedule I under section 7212 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7212, or a rule promulgated under that section, or of a controlled substance described in section 7214(a)(iv) of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7214." Marijuana is listed as a Schedule I controlled substance.
The court also stated, "Driving is a particularly dangerous activity; Schedule I substances are considered particularly inimical to a drivers' ability to remain in maximally safe control of their vehicles; and the danger of failing to do so affects not only the driver, but anyone else in the vicinity"
Theresa May of Flint asks if lights are still required for registration plates even though the registration plates are reflective.
The answer is yes, a light is required to illuminate a registration plate. MCL 257.686(2) states, "Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed so as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. A taillamp or taillamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be wired so as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted."