Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fuming mad: A column about loud motorcycles

OFF THE WIRE
Source: argusleader.com
SD - Calling out the riders of loud motorcycles here in the Best Little City in America had the potential to unleash the wrath of the leather-wrapped crowd.
Thankfully, the feared burning of my likeness in effigy outside the Argus Leader building didn't materialize.

But after a column last week on the topic of illegal exhaust systems, primarily on Harley-Davidsons, e-mailers did question my patriotism, motives and sanity.

"Come on dude, get a life!" was the salutation from Don, who said he was writing from China but is a regular attendee of the Sturgis Rally. Lest you fear black and orange is set to become the official colors of the entire state of South Dakota, there were about as many people writing in to say they agreed with the premise. Even some of the Harley backers said loud pipes were something of a menace.

On our Web site, there is a vigorous debate on the topic of whether after-factory pipes are a tool for safety or savage disregard for personal space. You can dive into that one yourself.

But before you do that, how about you and me go through some of the mail. I've cleaned up the language and grammar a bit and won't include last names, but if you recognize your buddy's syntax, feel free to mock him or her incessantly.

First, another excerpt from Don in China: "Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? Obviously not or you might understand that 'Loud Pipes Save Lives.' … I assume you are a proponent of gun control and other violations of our American freedoms! Why don't you and all your 'do gooder' friends spend more time whining about crime, child abuse, drugs and gangs and leave us law abiding Harley riders alone?" This was a common complaint, that I'm prejudiced against motorcycles. As it turns out, I've spent a lot of time on motorcycles, and my family is fairly steeped in the culture though we wear helmets and opt to ride where the possibility of someone running us over is slim.

Not that one has anything to do with the other, but I also am not a proponent of gun control in South Dakota. I think there are reasonable limits on some weapons in some cases but very little of that applies to our state

On your final point, Don, my do-gooder friends might object to the characterization. But you're right: We do whine about plenty of things.

Jerry: What that hell are we fighting for in Iraq if it not the freedom to our individual rights. Come on guy, it is 10 days out of the year. …Please look at the big picture and allow us to enjoy one of the last pure freedoms left.

The last I heard, we're fighting terrorists over there to keep from fighting them over here. But run it up the flagpole. At this point I think everybody in Washington is open to suggestions. As far as the 10 days go, you must be referring to Sturgis. As I said in the first column, this ain't Sturgis. We deal with loud pipes whenever there isn't snow on the ground.

Jimmy: Not all loud pipes are illegal. And it sounds like your police officers have too much time on their hands so they write tickets to bikers for loud pipes. Maybe they could be out arresting drug dealers and robbers and murderers instead.

I can't speak for the Police Department in total, but rest assured no murders are going unsolved so they can crack down on some lawbreaking Harley riders. Tim: As a father, biker, and American, I say let 'em roar. Next time I am on 10th and Minnesota, the twin cylinder salute rattling your windows will be me.

That's you? You must drive by a lot. Rich: Many motorcycles are illegally loud, and their owners really don't care who they disturb. Loud motorcycles are an expression of their owners' "screw you all" attitude who truly enjoy disturbing the peace everywhere they go.

A little strong. But I just wanted to prove it's not just me.

Angie: The next time you are sitting on your deck in your mosquito netting listening to a sound track of the '60s, sipping a sugar-free iced tea, and you hear that bike coming, just imagine how it would make you feel to don a black leather jacket and your shades and just sit on that bike and let it make all your worldly problems float away. Say what you will about Angie, she can paint a picture. She's got my music and my beverage off by a couple notches, but on this we can agree: Mosquitoes are bad.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I think I'll just get a massage.

Anonymous: As someone whose been riding over 40 years and had more than one person in a cage tell me "I didn't see you," and having seen two of my riding buddies lose their lower leg to a driver that didn't see them, the loud pipes let someone who can't see you, hear you, and feel the vibrations from those loud pipes. It's a defensive tactic, and until those who "don't see you" pay better attention, loud pipes will give the driver a second chance to NOT hit me or kill me.

You're right. We all need to pay more attention to what's going on around us.

But if while playing golf I'd had several scrapes with death, and two friends lost their legs, I might think about changing hobbies, or at least getting a horn on the cart. Bluesman: I don't hear any discussions about rap music coming from automobiles that are shaking the windows with lyrics about rape, beating and totally dominating women! You think this is good for our children to hear?

No. But what does that have to do with your exhaust? Nothing. Next question. Laura: Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your story. I liked your "stereotype" and "Sturgis" comments. They made me laugh.

Finally, a voice of reason.