Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Wednesday, May 9, 2012

USA - Get Tattoos, Lose Your Rights?

OFF THE WIRE
copblock.org
Harassment comes in all shapes and sizes, but when it comes with a badge you may be told you don’t have recourse. According to a Cop Block friend in Mississippi, tattoos grant you less rights?
My husband and I moved south across the state line to Horn Lake, Mississippi from Memphis. We have tattoos due to working in that industry. We would otherwise appear to be the stereotypical family. But we have been harassed ever since and have now been here three years.
We moved to a new house in the same city around a year ago. Our neighbors immediately called the police. When they show up, they accused my husband of burglary. Apparently they needed to be told that we were moving the furniture into the house not OUT! Over the past year the police have come out on a regular basis for other BS reasons. We know it is our neighbors who are calling them… but being decent people we try to turn the other cheek.
More recently a sargent has come out to our home twice. Once during our child’s birthday party for a reported noise violation, even though it was only two in the afternoon and our backyard was full of little kids. Both times he was in either his personal vehicle or an unmarked car and he was in uniform.
hornlake mississippi cruiser 300x200 Get Tattoos, Lose Your Rights?He didn’t give us a ticket, just a warning… next time I guess I’m supposed to just GAG the kids?
This last time the same sargent came in the same vehicle while my husband was working on our car and accused my husband of running a mechanic shop out of our house… which just so happens to be the same thing our neighbors have been accusing us of. This time he wrote a ticket for a BS code violation.
I may not be a lawyer but I have a basic understanding of the law. It doesn’t seem like a sargent would trouble himself with a petty code violation or loud children at a birthday party. It is painfully obvious that he is carrying out our neighbors personal agenda. In my understanding that would be considered police misconduct. But the kicker is that I have sought legal advice in this matter only to be told that I have to prove that he is misconducting himself, which they said is basically impossible.
I have consulted various professionals about discrimination and harassment. However, it appears that discrimination based on tattoos, piercings and things of that nature does not legally stand up in court as discrimination, which is based on the fact that having these things is considered a choice.
So that makes it okay?
Not in my eyes. I wish more people would speak out about this. Why do certain people have to be ignored when it comes to our civil rights? I have become more disappointed with our society and the status quo as days go by.