Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Wednesday, January 19, 2011

DENAIR, CA. - Denair flag boy returns from Washington, D.C. trip

OFF THE WIRE
Leigh Paynter
Source: news10.net

Cody Alicea said he was only trying to get attention for his fishing pole fundraiser when he became a national symbol for American patriotism.
"I put the American flag on my bike to show people that I was selling raffle tickets for hand-made fishing poles to pay for my class trip to Washington, D.C," said Alicea.
The 14-year-old's dream of a capitol visit came true even before the May trip. He was the special guest of newly elected congressman Jeff Denham, two weeks ago for Denham's inauguration.
"My grandfather and I got a free trip to see Denham's inauguration and we got to see D.C. for three days," said Alicea.
Alicea's trip included sightseeing around the National Mall, Capitol Building, White House and a concert by LeAnn Rimes.
"It was really cool. When we go, I'll probably be able to show my classmates things."
Alicea said he's happy that his flag waving started a public conversation on patriotism, but he's not interested in a life of politics.
"After watching the swearing-in ceremony, it looks really difficult," said Alicea.
Alicea does continue to respond to letters he receives from kids across the country asking about his support of the flag and all of the national attention he received in the past two months.
Alicea said he has fundraised 80 percent of his class trip so far.