Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Tuesday, June 22, 2010

California Highway Changeable Message Signs

It has been mentioned that CalTrans has put together some numbers on how much it costs to run the Changeable Message Signs with the motorcycle awareness messages on them.
I made a number of phone calls requesting a copy of those numbers, and I am pursuing that info from CalTrans myself. It seems that some folks in CalTrans do not see the big picture, that money spent on those signs will save money for themselves and the State in the long run with reduced collisions on the road.

I have put the call out to ABATE to find a motorcycle-friendly Assemblyperson or Senator to put together a bill to legislate the use of a small amount of the Motorcycle Safety Fund to pay for the use of the Changeable Message Signs for safety purposes one or two days each month. I am putting together some ideas, and will include CalTrans costs. I will be unable to attend the CMSP Advisory Board myself, But it was suggested that I put together a proposal for this plan, and have Jean Hughes present it to the Advisory Board. We would like to have the nod for this plan from the Board, but it is not necessary. Once we have a legistator putting together a bill for us, that will put the plan on the road.