Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Monday, November 11, 2013

AUSTRALIA - Long-time Rebel bikie answers your questions

OFF THE WIRE
YOU had your questions, and the Rebels have given answers.

The Rebels Motorcycle Club has broken its silence this week to express its views on new state government laws designed to crush outlaw bikie gangs. Tony Jardine, who has been a member of the Rebels' Sunshine Coast chapter for 22 years, offered to take questions from Sunshine Coast Daily Facebook and Twitter. The Daily sent Mr Jardine 17 questions. These are his answers.

1. Why did the member cover his face in the photo in The Daily on Thursday?

We wear masks to protect us from wind, rain, sun and bugs. And they are sold in every bike shop. Some even look cool (plus, this bloke is ugly).

2. Why do you prefer to be in a group as opposed to standing on your own?

There is no better feeling than riding down the highway with a group of your mates. It sounds and looks awesome. I just rode to Perth and back with 600 mates and it was an indescribable experience.

3. Why is it okay to ride two abreast on single-lane highways?

We ride in a staggered formation so we can see around the riders in front of us and we can still move from one side of the lane to the other. Basically, it is safer than being all over the place and not knowing where everyone is, or going to be. The only time we ride side-by-side is as a mark of respect in a funeral procession.

4. Would you and your members be willing to publicly undergo forensic accounting to verify capital used for business purchases?

We have no problem with the Tax Department doing a forensic audit on us. I do my tax every year and have done for my whole life. If you don't think that we get extra special attention and get more audits that the average person, you are mistaken, and still they find very little wrong. But then, I don't see why I should have to tell the public my personal business - neither would (Premier) Mr Campbell Newman or (Attorney-General) Mr Jarrod Bleijie.

5. What percentage of bikie gang members do you believe have been involved in criminal activity?

It has been recently been quoted by the Queensland Police Service that the crime attached to members of motorcycle clubs is 0.39% of all the crime. This means that if there were no motorcycle clubs, there would still be 99.61% of the crime still occurring. The police have recently been quoted as saying that it is 1% of the 1%-ers who commit all the crime. We believe the real figure on crime committed by our members is really much lower.

6. Would you turn in one of your members who is committing a crime?

The answer to that is no. I was bought up not to dob on family or mates, but I would use my influence to try and prevent it if that was possible. If I was walking down the street and saw someone robbing somebody, or trying to hurt someone, I would do my best to stop it from happening. Many times I have seen so-called normal people stand around and not lift a finger to help someone in trouble.

7. Why, when you have much more power than any police officer, have you not taken the lead and ousted members who are involved in crime?

This has happened. In the past, some members have been ousted and even one in our chapter. We have very strict rules in our constitution regarding drugs and crime, and anyone found using our club's name for personal gain is not tolerated.

8. Could there be any rapes attributed to your gang in the last 10 years on the Coast?

No way. The myth about bikies raping, I think, came from the early 1970s when a group of bikies were arrested for rape. It made headlines for ages. Contrary to popular beliefs, our wives or girlfriends are treated better than our bikes.

9. In light of the statement that no local Rebels members have been jailed, will you outline your criminal convictions?

Since I have been in the club since 1990, I have had two weapons charges (one for a 3cm butterfly knife in my garage in a box and one for an imitation ball-and-chain) and one charge of obstructing or assaulting police. The fines were in order of $300, $1000 and $600.

Everyone makes mistakes and it doesn't make us all the bogeyman. Before I joined the club, I had one drink charge, one assault charge, and two charges for pot - all between the ages of 18 and 19. I am now 51 and a grandfather.

10. Once you join the Rebels, can you ever leave without any trouble, or is it for life?

Yes, you can leave the club. People's lives change, circumstances change - like work, health, etc - so the answer is yes, without trouble.

11. Is it true that you cannot open a tattoo studio unless the local chapter approves and is paid off?

No, it is not true.

12.  Is this lifestyle detrimental to your family life, and now that you have lived this life is it something that you want for your children?

We do go on rides where we are away from home a few times a year, so my family does miss out on my time then, but I believe that it is important that I make up for this when I am home.

My family and I go on camping trips, trail bike riding, and just do normal family things.

We do have a lot of members with brothers and sons in the club, but my family's life together is ours, not the club's. Whatever my children want to do is their choice. It is hard on the kids to wake up one morning and the Government has declared their dad a criminal.

13.  Have clubs been less vigilant in selective membership or associating with people who want to use the clubs' strength as a cover for their own illicit agendas?

In my opinion some clubs have, yes.

14.  Do you think that all the media hype and these biker laws are a clever way for the police to gain more power and weapons to control all civilians?

I do believe that the government is trying to distract the people. There is way too much time and money being spent on bikers who police themselves say are only responsible for 0.39% of all crime, leaving the other 99.61% unchecked. Do you think there should be military weapons used on civilians?

15. In light of the new laws, will the Christmas Toy Run go ahead this year?

Toy runs will go ahead, but I think there will be fewer numbers.

16. How many bugs have you consumed while cruising?

Buy a motorbike, have fun with your friends and smile a lot, you will eat lots of bugs and find out they taste like crap.

17. Why don't you ever wear pink?

When I grew up, blue was for boys and pink was for girls, but if Newman has his way, I will have to wear pink, apparently to teach me not to go to the Pizza Hut for tea with two of my mates, according to Newman's new laws.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/you-had-your-questions-and-the-rebels-have-given-a/2079065/