Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Sunday, August 4, 2013

Back Road Rider: Do loud pipes save lives?

OFF THE WIRE
By CALVIN 'SKEET' SHEEDER


  Back Road Rider, Calvin "Skeet" Sheeder (courtesy) Ahhh, yes, with the dawn of a new riding season before us it seems it's never too late to get your complaints in about those pesky and noisy motorcycles, even if it is based on a column I wrote over a year ago! Take this timely entry for example: I will let you read it. Then I will guide you through the murky waters of what this is really about. Writer stated (quoting me, BRR): "I as well as millions of other motorcycle-loving people happen to like my things loud. Loud pipes save lives. It's a fact." Writer's correction detail: "There is absolutely no evidence to support the claim the 'loud pipes save lives' other than the thousands of Harley riders who yell it from the mountain tops hoping that if they are loud enough people will believe it. Statistically, loud pipes have absolutely zero effect on safety -- plain and simple. NHTSA, ABATE, AMA all agree on this. It's a belief, not a fact. "Also, the writer seems to miss the understanding that his 'right' to be loud conflicts directly with my 'right' to not be annoyed by noise pollution. Many noise ordinances are being passed in many municipalities because of this crazy belief... "Check your facts (funny thing about facts is they are based on evidence, statistics and real life studies, not by testimony of true believers; that is religion, not fact). My rights stop where another person's rights start. I don't have the right to cause a ruckus, it's called 'disturbing the peace.' "Additional sources: Anyone with scientific evidence; the insurance institutes, NHTSA, ABATE, AMA -- an organization that actually studies the safety of motorcyclists -- instead of a religious zealot screaming their beliefs as loud like their pipes." What the complainant is referring to is an article I wrote titled " Do Motorcycles Need Muzzled?" which was written over a year ago in response to another complaint I received about loud motorcycles -- Harley Davidsons in particular, because everybody knows only Harleys are loud. In fact the complainer at that time couldn't type the words "Harley Davidson" enough times in his complaint to make his point ... Fast forward to now. First of all Mr. or Mrs. Peace-nick, I say this because nobody bothered to sign the complaint, which tells me all I need to know about the writer, Does the word sarcasm have any meaning to you? If you knew anything about the motorcycling community, you might also know that "Loud pipes save lives" is a very popular helmet sticker which I inserted into that article. I did indeed add "It's a fact" and will stand by that. And now that you mention it, the funny thing about facts is that people have a funny way of stretching them around to fit their funny agendas. Again, I couldn't help but notice your reference to Harley Davidson and Harley riders so many times in your message. Why would that be? But let's get back to the facts thing, shall we? What's that? You need to wipe the sweat from your forehead? OK, I'll wait ... da, de, da ... After checking with fellow members of ABATE, of which I happen to be a member, by the way, I can't seem to find anybody who is even aware of a study ever being performed to say one way or another whether loud pipes save lives or not, so how could ABATE "agree they have no effect on safety" as you so proudly proclaim? It is a shame when those pesky facts get in the way, isn't it? I'm not saying that buried in a vault somewhere under mountains of more pressing paperwork there couldn't be a study somewhere, it's just I haven't nor has anyone I spoke with ever heard of one. So I'm gonna go with that. Where is your proof? As far as the AMA goes, to me it seems mostly like a metric and dirt bike orientation club with which Harley Davidson did or may even still have ties. Well, after poring over more motorcycling articles than I ever wanted to, I still failed to see one that said loud pipes do or do not save lives. There was plenty of talk about loud motorcycles and how to go about curbing excessive motorcycle noise. (I attribute most of that to the competition complaining about the top dog, Harley Davidson, simply because they have the largest motorcycle base) but the conclusion is or was it couldn't be done very effectively without singling out motorcycles beyond the scope of other vehicles and noises like lawn mowers or construction or a fireworks display or re-enactments with cannons and rifle fire -- all of which could disturb someone's peace or be considered a " ruckus" by someone. But to people like yourself I suppose you could give the information a good twist and jump to conclusions you came to. OK, let's jump back to the "loud pipes save lives" issue. Today, class, we are going to use a term I call applied logic. This is not something taught in school or that you can get a degree in, to the dismay of some people. I will be your professor. When this class is over, you will be able to come to sound conclusions on your own, that will not require years of government-funded studies, or tons of taxpayer dollars to come up with a correct answer to some of life's little dilemmas. Such as, do loud pipes save lives? Let's say, for example, a fictional driver named Mrs. Crabtree is behind the wheel of her 1987 "USS Buick." She's sitting atop a booster seat and her eyesight isn't what it used to be. She's at a stop sign getting ready to pull across the lanes of traffic when all of a sudden she hears the loud sirens of a fire truck as it passes down the road just feet in front of her. Whew! That was a close one! I think I could safely say loud sirens save lives or in this case, Mrs. Crabtree's and several fire department personnel. Now why would fire trucks have loud sirens if they didn't have any effect whatsoever on safety? You can't see a siren can you? Now let's apply some logic to this scenario, shall we? Mrs. Crabtree (I love that name!) pulls up to the same stop sign and you're on a motorcycle. Would you rather be on: A -- The motorcycle that gets her attention with the loud pipes (for this exercise let's pretend that you do have a wife and children before answering); or B -- The whisper-quiet motorcycle, and you rely on your dreamcatcher for protection? You see, Mr. and Mrs. Peacock, there are many motorcyclists out there who absolutely love nothing more than to ride their motorcycles but want that little extra protection that a louder motorcycle can and does provide. They as well as myself elect to disturb your peace for no more time than it takes a fire truck to pass -- not because they have an axe to grind with you or anyone else but because there are far too many "Mrs. Crabtrees" on the road. We have families, children and friends we care about and that care about us. As an owner of both a quiet and a louder motorcycle, I can tell you first-hand loud pipes do save lives -- it is a fact. I don't need a degree from Harvard to come to this conclusion and neither do any of my fellow riders, many of whom have written in support of this question, which by the way, if I stapled them all together and put them in a folder, would constitute a "real life study." So please come down off that high horse of yours and don't take it personally. I think what you're trying to say is you don't like loud motorcycles -- period -- day or night. That, people, is a whole other ball of wax. I stand by my conclusion. Class dismissed! Peace, love and ride! -- Skeet Contacts: If you have an event or ride you would like Back Road Rider to join or list on various websites, e-mail him at Thebackroadrider@embarqmail.com; tweet him at backroadrider1 or post a note at facebook.com/backroadrider. Website: http://www.backroadrider.org Blog site: http://www.publicopiniononline.com (under Opinion tab, scroll down to Blogs)