Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Tuesday, May 22, 2012

USA - Dealing with Aircraft Issuing Speeding Tickets

OFF THE WIRE
copblock.org

speed enforced by aircraft 300x225 Dealing with Aircraft Issuing Speeding Tickets
swiftfoxmark2 shares some insight he gleaned from his bud about how to handle a ransom threat from an airplane speed-trap. – Pete
A coworker who I ride with on occasion related to me a story where he received a speeding ticket that was enforced via aircraft. Basically, he was driving on the interstate at 4 AM at about 70 mph. At least that is what the aircraft clocked him at. On a side note, if the police have the money to enforce speeding tickets using airplanes, then they have too much money and time and should be downsized.
Now most people would have just paid the ticket and moved on with their lives. I know I might have. My coworker, however, decided to contest the ticket and went to court. This is where things got interesting.
In the courtroom, a police officer showed up with the pictures. My coworker didn’t contest the pictures but he did ask the judge if the pilot of the aircraft was present. The judge then noted that the police officer in the courtroom was not the one in the aircraft who snapped the picture. My coworker then stated that the police officer’s testimony was hearsay.
The judge, knowing that the police department had screwed up, asked my coworker if he wanted to come in at a later date when the police can have the pilot in the courthouse. My coworker then stated that he complied with the law and that he would like the charges dismissed.
Surprisingly, the judge complied with the request. The officer in the courthouse then proceeded to follow my coworker all the home in the hopes that he would screw up along the way and get busted. Unfortunately for him, my coworker is not a stupid man........