Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Sunday, March 4, 2012

Seattle, WA - Interview: Donald Charles Davis, author of Out Bad

OFF THE WIRE
Randall Radic
BLOGCRITICS.ORG
 seattlepi.com
Donald Charles Davis lives in "El Lay," as he likes to say, where he scratches out a living as a writer. One of his literary endeavors is a popular blog called The Aging Rebel.

Due to the constant swirl and flow of cause and effect, he decided to publish some of the blog posts in a book. Selecting 50, he buffed and polished them a little - not much, because he doesn't believe in re-writing. The result is The Aging Rebel: Dispatches From the Motorcycle Outlaw Frontier. The book is selling well on Amazon, and has received some remarkable reviews.

Almost simultaneously (two days later), another of his books appeared and instantly hit the true crime bestseller list on Amazon. It's called Out Bad, a singularly imaginative and evocative title. Out Bad is the true story of "Operation Black Rain," a three-year undercover investigation of the Mongols Motorcycle Club. 'Black Rain' was the idée fixe of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. By dint of relentless (and some would say, reckless) research, Davis reveals what really happened before, during, and after 'Black Rain.'

Sometimes authors are almost as interesting as the books they write. In rare instances, they are actually more fascinating than their books. Not much is known about Davis, since he keeps a pretty low profile. So I thought I'd find out just what makes him tick.

What made you think you could write well enough that people would pay money for what you'd written?

I was working as a laborer in a battery factory. It was an unpleasant job - particularly when the batteries would explode. One lunch time I walked to a nearby, daily newspaper and applied for a job on the loading dock. I had just bought some new, acid-proof work clothes so I looked fairly reputable. The personnel woman got me confused with some guy who had recently graduated from the Columbia School of Journalism. I guess Columbia graduates dress poorly. I took some tests, wrote a trial story and got hired as a reporter. The checks cleared. People have been paying me for my words ever since.

Do you have a specific writing style? If so, how do you describe it?

I have a style. It usually sounds like me, although I have worked hard enough and long enough at my craft that I am minimally competent at things like voice changes and other technical stuff like that. Most people describe my style as "easy and conversational."

How did you research your book Out Bad?

Out Bad is based on more than 100,000 pages of court filings, discovery and other primary sources, about 300 hours of video surveillance and wiretaps, secondary sources like news clippings, and numerous interviews with defense attorneys, prosecutors, local cops, authors, reporters, ATF Agents and analysts, prosecutors and numerous members of outlaw clubs including the Hells Angels, Vagos, Mongols, Sons of Silence, Loners and Pagans who had first hand knowledge of, and in many cases witnessed, events described in the book. I found other sources, too. Sometimes the sources found me. That's the short version. Researching the book was very difficult. Many of the government documents remain secret today. Many of the interviews were conducted in dark parking garages. At the time I interviewed a Mongol named Bouncer Soto for example, Bouncer had been a federal fugitive for about 20 months.

Are you now or have you ever been a member of a so-called outlaw biker club?

I am not a member of any motorcycle club. I am a former member of two outlaw motorcycle clubs. One club blew apart and disbanded after a double murder. The other club is still very much in existence. I am not going to name either one.

Why are people attracted to outlaw biker clubs, such as the Hell's Angels or the Mongols?

You don't want to put an apostrophe in Hells Angels. Any Angel will tell you there are many hells.