Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Monday, January 9, 2012

Big John Del Santo's Contributions to BOLT fundraising for the Santa Cruz trial.

OFF THE WIRE
Hi Kit,

   In response to your inquiry:

   John Del Santo was active in our BOLT fund raising efforts for the trial in Santa Cruz.  You may consider the following from my correspondence to BOLTUSA shortly after John's passing: "He was what we needed at the time, someone well connected with ABATE of California in Southern California, and yet one who was open and forced an opening with ABATE to broaden our base of support in opening the membership in his Chapter to the concept that the California helmet law might be brought down by the due process legal challenge being urged by Richard Quigley and BOLT...  He put his creativity into the fundraising, including the helmet toss, with prizes going to those who could throw a full faced helmet 40 feet into a trash can. He and Red opened up other opportunities to speak, including to Southern California patch clubs. Don came down for one that I recall and stirred up the crowd. And then he was always present, a force most effective behind the scenes, including at Red's annual Independence Day fuck-the-helmet-law rallies."

   Feel free to take what you want and omit what you want. John was a former President of his ABATE chapter there down in San Diego, and I believe he was the ABATE Safety Officer (although I'm not certain of the specific name of the position.) Red might know more precisely.

   Ray

Rest in Peace, Brother.

    My heart goes out to Fran and all those many who were touched by this big bear of a man with the softest voce, and the most enveloping heart.  He was an imposing figure with a mind sharp as a tack, able to bring together disparate political views in a way that made him a very special rights advocate.

   The first time I met him in person was in connection with our fund raising efforts for the Santa Cruz trial.  He was what we needed at the time, someone well connected with ABATE of California in Southern California, and yet one who was open and forced an opening with ABATE to broaden our base of support in opening the membership in his Chapter to the concept that the California helmet law might be brought down by the due process legal challenge being urged by Richard Quigley and BOLT.

    He opened the door to attempt to convince those in his chapter and one other, and those surrounding in the San Diego area of the viability of our plan.  He and the two chapters held a fundraiser for the trial at which Steve Bianco, Red and I spoke, attempting to educate on the merits of the lawsuit and persuade those assembled to participate. He put his creativity into the fundraising, including the helmet toss, with prizes going to those who could throw a full faced helmet 40 feet into a trash can. He and Red opened up other opportunities to speak, including to Southern California patch clubs. Don came down for one that I recall and stirred up the crowd. And then he was always present, a force most effective behind the scenes, including at Red's annual Independence Day fuck-the-helmet-law rallies. I recall one in which I'd ridden with an Ill-Eagle truckers cap helmet Quig had given with me, with  Bianco's itsy bitsy, teenie, weenie, beanie over it to aid as a "retention device." Quig's helmet flew off on the freeway, but Fran was on the outside and kindly picked it up.  Fran was always at Big John's side, and my heart goes out to her at what must be the most difficult time of her life.

   One of the last times Big John and I spoke was in a conference call about the recent California helmet law legislative effort. John broke into the conversation to say that the days were running short to support the initiative, and I immediately responded, "Or not." And then I just pushed to remind folks that there were two sides to the question whether to support it or not. I didn't hear him on the conversation after that, and I worried that he missed my immediate apology for interrupting him.  I called to explain to him that this was a matter of contention within BOLT and he waived off my renewed apology for cutting him off. He had stayed on the conference call and had heard my apology at the time, and said he understood our differences of opinion. He and I remained friends, but now I'm reminded of my lack of courtesy, the too quick "Or not."

    If you can hear me, brother, I miss you. Our world is so much smaller and less colorful and beautiful without you. But hopefully you will have the opportunity to reconnect with Quig and the others of our fallen brothers who have meant so much to those of us who remain.

   Ray