Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Motorcyclists Need To Raise A Stink When Cars Hit Motorcycles

OFF THE WIRE
Especially after that incident in SC.... I've been trying to light a fire under activists butts, but find I'm unable to! Indifference.... the fear of a losing battle is what I'm told!
Truly so sad and disheartening when you read over and over each day in the news that another rider's down due to some cager's indifference, distractedness, inattentiveness....
Glad to see there's others out there who feel the way I do!~
Gypsy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_176313.asp Motorcyclists Need To Raise A Stink When Cars Hit Motorcycles - And Response (2) posted May 24, 2010
I have had a motorcycle license since I was 14, and I am 50 now, with my last owning a street bike ending about three years ago after I was hit two times in one summer by cars. These two accidents were the first times I was ever struck by autos with many near misses over the years.
It is very sad to see so many riders hurt and killed on an almost daily basis. Riding a motorcycle, for many years, was my first love of hobbies. It has gotten so dangerous now that it gives me chills just to think about riding one. In fact, I would not ride one on our roads if you paid me.
Also, why is there no outcry about this carnage? One or two bicycle riders get hurt or killed, and every media outlet, along with passionate petitions from riders are screaming for relief or action to rectify the issue. There are many more motorcycle riders than bicyclists on the highways, in my opinion, and the people involved in this pastime had better start raising a stink about the carnage or else, at this rate, there won't be anyone left to participate. Follow the bicycle riders examples and bring some attention to this travesty, while you are still able.
The motorcycle dealers really need to spearhead this effort since they have this as their livelihood and most also participate. I know they probably don't want to bring this danger to the forefront, but it needs to be, since we all need the right to ride without becoming a hood ornament. All motorcycle riders start screaming and don't just accept it. It is not right for people to ignore you and kill you
Joe Blevins Guild, Tn.
I have lost track of how many motorcyclists have been killed in 2010. Every year the statistics just keep getting worse. One of my duties as the managing editor of Chattanooga's Road Rash Magazine is to send out emails to our subscribers about motorcycle accidents. This year has been especially deadly, and we are on track for the highest death rate ever recorded in a single year.
Why is this? Contrary to popular belief, most accidents are caused by motorists hitting, pulling out in front of, or stopping suddenly in front of motorcycles. Today's drivers find themselves occupied by doing everything except paying attention to driving while behind the wheel. I have been riding motorcycles for forty years, and I have seen the lack of paying attention getting worse with each passing year.
Motorists are too busy putting on make up, smacking their kids in the back seat, eating an Egg McMuffin, drinking, playing with the radio, looking in the glove box, fixing their hair, reading a book (yes, I have seen this many times on the interstate), and the scourge on humanity, texting. Anyone that kills or maims another driver or pedestrian due to texting while driving should be given a mandatory ten year prison sentence. I see texting while driving at least a dozen times per day.
Wake up morons. We don't want to die just so you can tell your boyfriend that you love him. We have people that love us too, and they don't want to see us killed due to your negligence. Contrary to what you think, what you have to say is not that important in the scheme of life and death. It is a matter of life and death when you run over us while texting your drivel.
Joe Blevins asked why there is no outcry over these deaths? Motorcyclists have always been considered second class citizens, and the public considers us expendable. The age old cliche of "scooter trash" is still alive and well in the minds of the general public. Sad . . . but true.
Ronnie "Rock" Land
I, like Mr. Blevins, started riding motorcycles in the early 70's and am still riding at the young age of 50.
I agree that something needs to be done. I think that our local media needs to run PSA's regarding motorcycle awareness. I also believe that not everyone who rides a motorcycle can "ride" a motorcycle. There is an MSF course that can be taken to help make us better motorcycle riders.
I feel that we as motorcyclists need to be overly aware of our environment and anticipate the worst. Car drivers should pay attention to what they are doing, but with gals applying their warpaint on while driving, dudes reading the paper, cell phones and the texting aficionados, we don't stand much of a chance.
So, you are correct, the public needs to be made aware that we are out there and out there in numbers and we don't like being your hood ornament.
That's the stink I would like to see raised.
Brett P. Salmon RInggold