Catch us live on BlogTalkRadio every



Tuesday & Thursday at 6pm P.S.T.




Tuesday, February 2, 2010

MOTORCYCLE TOWING

Re: Trailers and Speed Limits
Ok every body. I am going to eat some MAJOR crow here. I work for a small dept. and dont work the freeways. I just had a meeting with one of my CHP friends to talk about this. Now I tow a trailer also, so I know what we face. The CHP Officer also rides. When I first read Vechile Code section 22406 which states what vehicles are subject to the 55mph, Motorcycles are not listed. Thus the opinion of not limited to 55mph. But , 22406 does state all motor vehicles towing a trailer are limited to 55 mph. Now, we looked up the definition of a Motorcyle per the Vehicle Code and thus, here is the killer. The Code states that a motorcycle is a motor vehicle by definition. So , towing a trailer, we are subject to the 55 mph. Now the next issue, lane choice. Since we are limited to 55 mph, we must be in the slow lane except to pass. This is stated in section 22348 (c). So shame on me for speaking out on what I thought i knew and giving the wrong info. I am soory for that big time. I have also learned something new since we are not taught everything about the vehicle code in the Acadamy, most is OTJ training. Again I am so sorry for the bad info.. I plan on having conversations with the CHP Officers I ride with that tow trailers to see if they have other insight on this than what I have knowledge of.